Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday - Series You Want to Start This Year

I thought it would be fun to participate in the Top 5 Wednesday posts in the online book community and you can find other blogs and Youtube channels that participate here. This week's topic is which series you would like to start this year. I absolutely love series and have a lot on my Goodreads to-read bookshelf, but here are my top 5!

1. The Sweet Trilogy by Wendy Higgins

"What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?"

It has been a while since I've read a YA paranormal romance and I've heard a lot of great things about this series! The summary is kind of confusing so I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but it is definitely a series I want to try this year based off many glowing reviews. Plus, YA paranormal is my guilty pleasure.

2. Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas
"In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 
The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world."

A badass female main character? Count me in! There's literally nothing better than a strong female lead in YA. I've read countless rave reviews about this series and it's very popular among the online book community. This will be a series I'll definitely start sooner than later this year. There's three books in this series out right now and three more books to come.

3. Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

"The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.
Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives."

This historical fiction romance series is super popular and is a favorite of many. It has been recently been made into a TV show, which is how I heard about the series. The books are massive, which is kind of intimidating but at the same time I've always loved long books. I have this on my Nook right now ready to start reading!

4. Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
"Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is."

So the summary seems kind of cliche, but this series has such good ratings and I'm a fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this series. Plus I need to up my YA paranormal romance game since I haven't read any in a while!

5. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor

"Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hairactually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?"

I've had this book on my shelf for a while and haven't picked it up yet, but I plan on reading this trilogy this year since all the books are out and I can read them straight through. I hate waiting for new books in a series, so sometimes I'll purposely wait until they are all released so I don't have to wait and be stuck with cliffhangers for a year ;) I guess I'm really looking forward to YA paranormals this year! This is another favorite among the online book community so I'm excited to finally read it.

6 comments:

  1. I got Outlander for Christmas and need to read it as well. While I am not put off by long books, I will have to be in the right mood to read it. Love your blog by the way and thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outlander was excellent and the Sweet trilogy is very addicting. Since YA paranormal is your guilty pleasure you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete